At my live events, I try to help my students think beyond making money. While it’s true that I go over various real estate investment techniques, I also try to help them see the bigger picture: making money is just one part of their lives. Being truly successful isn’t about the size of their bank accounts; it’s about the kind of person that they strive to be.
After reading many, many books on the subject and after more than a decade of trial and error, I have come up with a list of 12 principles that I believe are essential for being a successful person. Let me share it with you here:
- Take 100% responsibility for your actions and stop acting like a victim.
- Set goals so that you can measure your progress.
- Think big and force yourself to learn new thought patterns.
- Visualize what you want to achieve and remind yourself constantly why you are doing what you are doing.
- Increase your financial self-worth to earn more money and to maintain a higher bank account balance.
- Realize that success leaves clues and that to be successful yourself you should imitate other successful people.
- Take action now, realizing that faster is better than perfect and that you will make mistakes at first.
- Follow your inner compass and do what you know to be right, even if others doubt you or try to hold you back.
- Be accountable for your actions.
- Be a class act by doing what you say and saying what you do. Keep your appointments and fulfill your obligations.
- Recognize the power of association and surround yourself with people who will elevate you, not people who will drag you down. Build a professional team to help you do your deals.
- Know that persistence pays off and that if you start something you should stick with it until you finish it.
Success is a learned skill, but no one can learn it for you.